Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ginger Capsimel

This morning I made a third batch of JAO with doubled spices and 2 cloves. I weighed the orange this time, which was 6.7oz./190g. I stole one eighth of the orange peel for the next mead. OG: 1.104 Temp: 99.4

Then I made Ginger Capsimel that Scout tried a while back. I don't know if she ever bottled hers, but the last time I tasted it, it was just amazing, a little heat, and little sweet, just right. I believe it took about 2.5-3 years to get that way, but I am willing to wait.

I am following her recipe almost exactly. I also googled the original recipe since the link in her post was dead.

Neither recipe says how much yeast, I used 1 teaspoon and hope that works.


Ginger Capsimel

2.5 pounds clover honey
3 serrano peppers, split and seeded (.95oz/26g)
2 jalapeno peppers, split and seeded (1.31oz/37g)
1 inch of fresh ginger (.49oz/14g)
4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 grams fresh orange peel (about 1/8th of a medium orange)
1 teaspoon Fleishmann's bread yeast


Set 1/2 Gallon water to boil, then chop the ginger. When the water is boiling add ginger. 

Then split seed and remove the ribs of the peppers.

(:10) After the ginger has boiled for 10 minutes add the peppers.

(:20)After 10 minutes of boiling remove the peppers, but leave the ginger.

(:30) After 10 more minutes remove the pot from the heat. Let cool to about 150*F and add orange peel.

(:45) After 15 more minutes, mix in the honey, and add 1/2 gallon more water and the lemon juice.

When cooled to room temp add yeast and swirl to combine.

OG: 1.105 Temp: 83.4*F






No comments:

Post a Comment